No Unity At Univision

Univision Music Group President Jose Behar filed a lawsuit in late November against Univision Communications, claiming the parent company is sabotaging the music division’s revenues to get a lower price for his stake in the business.

The legal filing coincides with Univision Communications’ finalizing the sale of Univision Music, which was put on the block in July, according to the Miami Herald.

Behar’s suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, accuses UC of cutting the amount of TV advertising it gave the music division, which resulted in lower sales, refusing to let Behar cut overhead and enter into long-term contracts, and generally keeping Behar from doing his job, the paper said. Behar’s company, Diara, owns 10 percent of Univision Music, while UC owns the other 90 percent.

The suit also claims UC execs aren’t abiding by agreements renegotiated with Behar in July after the division’s sale to private investors. He is seeking about $33 million in damages, the Herald said.

Univision Music Group is composed of a stable of Latin artists, including Gloria Trevi and Ivy Queen, as well as small-market radio stations, according to the paper.

Univision President/CEO Joe Uva told the Herald he couldn’t comment on pending litigation.