Elton/Billy Summer Tour Not Happening?
Although no dates had officially been announced, at least one newspaper is saying the planned Elton John/Billy Joel summer tour has been called off.
There’s an old showbiz adage that states a tour cannot be canceled if the dates haven’t gone on sale. That means, regardless of how publicly you may have discussed your tour plans, if those arrangements go south before the first date goes up, then you haven’t really canceled anything.
But the Chicago Tribune used the c-word in announcing that a planned show for the city’s Wrigley Field has been called off. Earlier this month, the Chicago Sun-Times reported the concert was planned for July 7, although no official announcement had been made.
But now it looks as if any chance of seeing Billy and Elton this summer may have gone to that place where all unannounced shows go when they’re called off. We’re not sure as to the name of that place, but we believe it’s also the place where your missing car keys and one-half of a pair of socks often end up.
According to the Trib, it was Elton John who revealed that there would be no summer get-together. While doing a series of satellite TV interviews from the Beverly Hills Hilton, Feb. 19, John said “It’s not my decision, it’s Billy’s.”
“He has decided to take a year off,” John said. “It doesn’t gel with my plans but he’s a friend. And as an artist you have to respect his decision.”