Justin Townes Earle Postpones Tour

Justin Townes Earle is trading in motel rooms on the road for rehab. The singer-songwriter announced he was postponing his U.S. and U.K. tour dates less than a week after being arrested.

Earle was arrested Sept. 16 after playing Indianapolis’ Radio Radio. The musician, who is the son of singer Steve Earle, was charged with battery, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement, according to the official website for the city of Indianapolis and Marion County. 

The following statement was posted to JTE’s website yesterday:

“Justin Townes Earle has decided to suspend the remaining dates on his tour and enter a rehabilitation facility. Earle is strongly committed to confronting his on-going struggle with addiction and thanks his family, friends and fans for their continued support through this difficult time.”

Photo: Doug Seymour
Sellersville Theatre, Sellersville, Pa.

The singer was scheduled to perform tonight at Midpoint Music Festival in Cincinnati. Postponed U.S. dates include all September and October U.S. dates through an Oct. 23 gig at 9:30 Club in Washington, D.C.

The U.K. dates were set to kick off Nov. 1 at The Maze in Nottingham. All November U.K. and Ireland shows have been postponed up through a Nov. 14 show at Whelans in Dublin.

Ticket refunds are available through the individual venues.

Earle reportedly caused over $200 worth of property damage in his dressing room following the Sept. 16 gig. Radio Radio owner David “Tufty” Clough told police that Earle smashed a table, lamp and mirror, according to an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department report which was reported by the Indianapolis Star.

He is also accused of assaulting Clough and punching the venue owner’s daughter after being told the $200 in damages would come out of his pay.

The musician was released from jail after posting $150 bond.

The day after being arrested Earle tweeted, “Oh and Radio Radio in Indy and all its staff can kiss my f**king ass! I think The Felice [Brothers] would agree.”

Earlier this week he released a statement denying the accusations.

“Unfortunately, reports surfacing online about the incident in Indianapolis are not accurate,” Earle said. “I have been advised by counsel that I should not comment on a pending criminal matter, but suffice to say that I am looking forward to having my day in court. I would also like to say that I oppose violence against women in any form.”

Earle talked out his struggle with drug addiction during his December 2009 Pollstar cover story.

The singer told Pollstar he “first got caught with reefer” when he was 11 years old. Within a few years he was using heroin. He then swapped that for “eating like 25 hydrocodones a day and drinking like a fiend.” Earle said he had previously entered rehab a few times and been hospitalized for overdoses although he doesn’t remember exactly how many times.

Earle’s court date is set for Oct. 19.

Click here for Justin Townes Earle’s website.