Minnesota Fest On Shaky Ground
Taste of Minnesota festival officials reportedly will be looking for a new location because of unpaid bills to the city of St. Paul and other vendors.
International Event Management, which runs the annual festival, reportedly missed an Oct. 4 deadline to pay more than $100,000 in security, rent and other services to the city’s Parks and Recreation Department. Organizers reportedly asked for a 30-day extension but that request was denied, according to the Pioneer Press.
City officials are now looking elsewhere for next year’s entertainment.
“There will be an event on Harriet Island around the Fourth of July, but it doesn’t look like it will be called the Taste,” St. Paul City Councilman Dave Thune told the paper. “ I hate to see the Taste go away, but I’m just not overly hopeful something can be done.”
The previously free event, July 2-5 at Harriet Island Park, featured a diverse lineup including 311, The Offspring, Minus The Bear, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Sammy Hagar & The Wabos, Justin Townes Earle and various food vendors.
However, the tradeoff was an admission charge of $20 before 4 p.m. and $30 after 4 p.m., which reportedly affected attendance, the paper said.