New Accuser Emerges As Cosby Cancels Shows In Boston
Helen Gumpel, formerly known as Helen Selby, said Sunday that Cosby made sexual advances and lewd gestures toward her while she was on the set of the show.
She said she was called to the show’s set for what she thought was another audition shortly after filming the one episode. She said she was brought to Cosby’s dressing room and Cosby had her sit on a couch and handed her a drink. She said Cosby then stood in front of her with his crotch in her face.
“I never thought of myself as a victim because I refused his advances,” Gumpel said. “But my career was a victim.”
A Cosby spokesman did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment. The 77-year-old entertainer faces sexual assault accusations from at least 15 women. He denies the allegations and has never been charged with a crime.
Gumpel, who lives in Connecticut with her husband, made the allegations at a news conference she held at a downtown Boston hotel hours after Cosby canceled back-to-back comedy shows scheduled that evening at the nearby Wilbur Theater. Demonstrators had threatened to protest outside the theater.
Cosby, who has a home in western Massachusetts, told the Boston Globe he canceled the shows because of impending “treacherous” weather. The New England forecast called for a winter storm with nearly 2 feet of snow in the Boston area through Tuesday.
Since the accusations emerged last year, some of Cosby’s performances elsewhere have drawn heckling and protests and some have been canceled.
The Wilbur Theater announced on its website Sunday morning that the shows were canceled but did not say why. It apologized for the abrupt change and said tickets would be refunded.