Reaction to the death of rock superstar Tom Petty, who died Monday after suffering cardiac arrest at this Malibu home:
Chris Pizzello / Invision / AP – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Tom Petty addresses the crowd when he and The Heartbreakers headline the inaugural Arroyo Seco Music Festival at Brookside Golf Course in Pasadena, Calif., June 24.
– “I’m shocked and saddened by the news of Tom’s passing, he’s such a huge part of our musical history, there’ll never be another like him.” – Eric Clapton in a statement.
– “Through his work with the Heartbreakers and The Traveling Wilburys he’s left us with an incredibly legacy to enjoy forever, it’s such a shame he has left us way before his time.” – Def Leppard singer Joe Elliot on Twitter.
– “It is so rare to find someone who commands such universal respect in the business. He was a rock n roll lifer with music in his blood. This man delivered a wealth of great songs to his fans and to the world and that is something to celebrate.” – rocker Alice Cooper, on Twitter.
– “I feel Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is the best American rock band, ever. He is both a peer and an inspiration to me. I am heartbroken at his passing, and my deep sympathy goes out to his family and loved ones.” – REO Speedwagon’s Keith Cronin on Facebook.
– “Safe passages to the summerlands, brother. You couldn’t have left more dreams here for us. Thank you. RIP” – rocker Ryan Adams on Twitter.
– “Tom was a true rock and roll purist, both in his music and his defiant spirit. With the Heartbreakers, his infectious riffs, rebellious personality, and inventive songwriting brought a new urgency to rock traditions and fueled a now legendary career and some of the most memorable music of the last four decades.” – Recording Academy President/CEO Neil Portnow in a statement.