Charges Filed In Bangkok Club Fire
The owner of the Bangkok, Thailand, nightclub where at least 60 people died in a New Year’s Eve fire allegedly started by fireworks is facing criminal charges.
Businessman Wisuth Setsawat was to be charged with carelessness leading to the deaths of others, Police Gen. Jongrak Jutanont said Jan. 4.
The fatal fire at Santika Club, which allegedly was sparked by a countdown fireworks display set up on stage, caused a stampede of partygoers trying to get out through the club’s main door, according to police. Victims reportedly died of smoke inhalation, severe burns and injuries sustained in the stampede.
Wisuth’s attorney said the venue’s 31 partners set up a fund to help those affected by the disaster and made some compensation to relatives of 11 dead and injured.
The investigation is ongoing.