Leonard Cohen collapsed during a performance in Valencia, Spain, Friday night, apparently suffering from food poisoning.
Cohen fainted while performing “Bird On A Wire.” Cohen’s manager later said the singer/songwriter had been suffering from a bout of food poisoning, but was reluctant to cancel the show.
A band member told the crowd Cohen was suffering stomach cramps and vomiting fits, according to the BBC.
YouTube video shows Cohen performing the first part of the song and then sitting down on the edge of the stage for a few seconds before collapsing, causing his band to immediately stop playing and rush to his aid.
Medical personnel treated Cohen at the venue and he was then taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure. He was released early Saturday morning and spent the remainder of the weekend resting in his hotel room.
All reports look good for tonight’s scheduled show in Barcelona, the last of Cohen’s Spain engagements on his current world tour. The eclectic performer turns 75 today.