L.A. Live Signs OK’d
The Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously Oct. 23 to approve six sign permits for the L.A. Live entertainment complex despite City Attorney Carmen Trutanich’s warning that to do so violates the city’s ban on outdoor advertising.
The decision was made after Trutanich allegedly threatened to prosecute Department of Building and Safety GM Raymond Chan, city councilwoman Jan Perry – whose district includes L.A. Live – and AEG officials if the sign permits for Regal Cinemas were granted.
During a hearing, the council reportedly told Trutanich that his actions went against the council’s intent when it passed the sign ban in August, which exempts previously approved signage rights at L.A. Live, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Chan and a planning department rep told the council the city gave L.A. Live broad signage rights in a 2001 general agreement and approved plans for the current signs in 2006, the paper said.
The signs in question included one for the Michael Jackson documentary “This Is It,” which premiered Oct. 27.
The action was taken shortly after AEG President Tim Leiweke told the Times that Trutanich tried to bully the company into paying $6 million to the city for expenses related to the July 7 Jackson memorial service at Staples Center.
Leiweke claimed Trutanich’s attempt to block the sign permits was because he wouldn’t agree to the $6 million figure, though AEG offered to reimburse a portion of the city’s cost, reportedly about $1.3 million.
Trutanich’s spokesman John Franklin denied Leiweke’s allegations, telling the Times the city attorney was just doing his job.